“The program graduates a highly competent leaders able to improve the public health services in South Mediterranean HEIs’ and internationally”.
“To provide high quality education in the field of public health and public health management and consequently share in improving the public health services nationally and internationally”.
- Excellence— setting the highest standards and learning requirements for students and faculty and encouraging their achievement and accountability.
- Innovation— program encourages flexibility, initiative and creative thinking in both classroom and other program activities.
- Professionalism— Promoting professional identity, maintaining ethical behavior, and professional development are crucial to the success of students and the program as a whole.
- Collaboration—Cooperation, respect and being part of a team are central to classroom and program activities.
- Diversity—Valuing different backgrounds, perspectives, and approaches combine to create optimal learning experiences for students and faculty.
- Lifelong Learning—A commitment to lifelong learning is essential in order to continuously develop the knowledge and skills required by the dynamic and changing public healthcare sector.
MASTER PROGRAM (ILOS)
- Apply the health information system as a management tool for well functioning health system.
- Utilize management theories and frameworks to the practice of health services leadership, management and policy.
- Apply effective strategic management tools and practices in public health organizations.
- Analyze the influence of cultural and sociopolitical factors on health and illness.
- Evaluate current public health issues to develop evidence based policy.
The Master Program in “Public Health Management” is a highly competitive program that prepares students for top leadership positions in health delivery organizations, advocacy, policy making bodies, government health care organizations at all levels, community based organizations, and the diversity of other public and private health care organizations. Students develop a strong foundational knowledge of the health sector with specific strengths in management and policy. They acquire the analytic skills essential to assess and improve the quality of our health system and delivery while also reducing costs and addressing access barriers. They develop leadership skills, providing innovative ideas about health policy issues confronting the nation today. The robust critical thinking skills and the foundational strength in both health policy and management acquired by our students provide them with the ability to tackle a variety of vital health care issues, contributing to improving the health of our communities.
- To provide masters level education, informed by research & evidence-based practice, and to develop and prepare early careerists and entry-level health care professionals who will play leadership roles in public and private institutions involved in the organization, financing, and delivery of health services and further at developing legislation and regulations that will improve the health of individuals, communities and populations.
- To build up competences in the field of public health management in order to improve public health performance, employment and development perspectives.
- To improve population health and well-being by building a diverse public health workforce to meet the needs of current and future communities. Through high-quality education, research opportunities, and support for service activities, our graduates will emerge equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to address complex public health problems and to assume leadership positions in a wide variety of settings at all levels.
- To provide quality education and research in the area of health policy and management and consequently to contribute to development of a quality health care services in Palestine and the wider region.
- To provide training in Public Health to qualified health professionals and other individuals in order to prepare them to play a leadership role in public health management.
- To apply effective health financial management processes and controls in a public agency context.
- To prepare a workforce who can effectively intervene and contribute to the management of health services and the production of health policies and societal responses in order to maintain, protect and promote health and guaranteeing the provision of health services.
- To emphasize and lead an active student-directed learning, problem solving and acquisition of skills essential to the practice of health management systems in and outside of school from policy-making to service commissioning.
- To enable the students to be able to construct qualitative, quantitative and analytical skills needed to conduct a health management-oriented research in the region.
Professionals from the different healthcare sectors including physicians, nurses, pharmacists, administrative staff and other health care providers including those working in healthcare education institutions can enroll in this program. Other professionals from the ministry of education and health and those working in the health department of local councils and municipalities and the non-governmental and private organizations could be accepted.
FUTURE CAREER PROSPECTS
Graduate of this Master’s degree program will be well prepared for a broad range of positions and careers at:
- Academic sector : the programme may serve excellent preparation for students wishing to pursue their PhD studies.
- Universities and health research centers :epidemiologist, biostatistician, researcher in health services and policies.
- Community and hospital medicine :public health physician, district officer.
- National and international health agencies : programme or project officer/manager, public health surveillance specialist.
- Non-governmental organizations :medical coordinator, project manager.
- Health Ministries : regional programme coordinator, consultant/officer in national health policy and planning.
Graduates of this program should be able to perform the followings:
- Wide-range planning, coordination and implementation of medical and health services.
- Deep understanding of healthcare policy and laws, as well as current and upcoming issues that require administrators to stay ahead of the curve.
- Attending and contributing to high-level meetings with investors, governing boards and stakeholders.
- Beneficial communication with medical staff and heads of departments.
- Improving overall efficiency and financial effectiveness.
- Managing health services implementing logistics and human resources such as staff scheduling, hiring and salary issues, patient fees and billing, and supplies chain.
- Provide health surveillance by promoting the development of indicator-based comprehensive health monitoring systems, published as reports to the general public.
- Promote healthy behavior and lifestyles, and reducing risk factors; for example, smoking, alcohol and drug use, sedentary behavior, unhealthy diet and overeating are examples of poor lifestyle choices that directly affect health.
- Work to help reduce inequity in health.
The program will be taught through a variety of teaching methods including: theoretical lectures, practical’s exercises, field visits (hospitals, medical house), self-directed study followed by seminars and group work with peers and presentations to the class.